We were at an Indian restaurant for dinner and BIL ordered a beer. I was giving him a "look" and Beth caught the it. Given that her brain processes too much, she understood that something was wrong. After a minute she said that she knew why "I was looking like that". It was because "papa was drinking daru". We do not realize that when it comes to kids, we are being evaluated every second, and need to be on our best behavior at all times. Otherwise they will hear words like 'daaru' and use them back to you (if you are lucky, outside, if you are not that lucky).
Anyway, so I told her that drinking daru was not that good but it was okay. Then we moved on to other 'ganda kaam'. I asked her what other ganda kaam did her dad do earlier? She promptly responded 'drinking c-grade'. Now that she is into spelling, I asked her to spell it. Last year she would teach me that there are 2 c-grades - one which you tell in the ear (secret) and the other which is a 'ganda kaam', and I had always wondered if she thought that both were the same word. Asking her to spell it would give me the answer. So, she says "oh yes, I know how to spell it, and goes - s-e-c-r-e-t.
I just hope that someday when she gets the word 'secret' to make a sentence in class, she doesnt end up saying that "my dad used to drink secrets"!
Another interesting thing is that both kids say "drinking c-grades" and never smoking them. This maybe because we always say 'cigarette peena' in hindi and the kids automatically translate everything to English!
Anyway, so I told her that drinking daru was not that good but it was okay. Then we moved on to other 'ganda kaam'. I asked her what other ganda kaam did her dad do earlier? She promptly responded 'drinking c-grade'. Now that she is into spelling, I asked her to spell it. Last year she would teach me that there are 2 c-grades - one which you tell in the ear (secret) and the other which is a 'ganda kaam', and I had always wondered if she thought that both were the same word. Asking her to spell it would give me the answer. So, she says "oh yes, I know how to spell it, and goes - s-e-c-r-e-t.
I just hope that someday when she gets the word 'secret' to make a sentence in class, she doesnt end up saying that "my dad used to drink secrets"!
Another interesting thing is that both kids say "drinking c-grades" and never smoking them. This maybe because we always say 'cigarette peena' in hindi and the kids automatically translate everything to English!
No comments:
Post a Comment