Monday, April 14, 2014

Au Revoir and Bon Voyage

Today is a turning point in my life in Austin. The person who made any happiness possible in my life in Austin is leaving today. It seems even God is shedding tears on my behalf - the sky is dark with heavy black clouds and it is raining cats and dogs (and horses).

Kumar is moving back to India today. And who, you ask, is Kumar? I am always at a loss to explain him. He is not family though as precious and more involved in my life than my cousins are. And he is much more than a friend. The closest relation I can think of to describe it would be 'son'. And that is what he is. He has been a part of our marriage right from the beginning - starting from the marriage ceremony in India. He has been the glue which has cemented my marriage and smoothed over a lot of the bumps. He is the one who takes off the heat when both of us are too heated up to care who is getting burnt. He would watch 'Sherlock' with me and numerous bad English movies with Manas. He is always ready to go anywhere, to eat anything, to do any chore - in short a very accommodating person, and who does not like to live with a selfless person!

I will miss him, not only for the tea he made every time or for taking over the dishwasher duties, but for the enthusiasm he brought into every outing - be it a trip to Costco or a hike to a park. I don't know how I will get any projects done around the house now - he was my able assistant who was ready to do anything provided you gave directions. Till late last night, he worked hard to bring the bricks in the yard to finish the patio we are working on.

But the rule of the world is not going to change for me and I have deal with the empty nest. Because of his presence, neither of us ever felt the need for friends or any kind of social circle, so my nest is going to be starkly empty.

May God be with you and you always have the happiness you bring to other lives.

Last morning in Austin

No comments: