Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Heart of the Matter

Seen on Facebook recently:

Visa ke liye gujju bhai kuch bhi karega…..

Although this was a pun on NaMo's denied US visa and is really funny, it did strike a note for me.  When I was doing my engg in Gujarat, I was slightly contemptuous of them, with their ridiculous dressing and funny mannerisms. The more I observe the gujarati community, the more I am impressed by them. They are not afraid to be the very smallest and humblest fish in the ocean, even when they have been the sharks in the pond, just so that their next generation can flourish in the ocean. This is a very awe inspiring attitude for me because as I mentioned in an earlier post, we (UP and Bihar) are very much inclined towards being the sharks in the pond and are not ready to move to the ocean unless we are sure to be at least medium sized fish.

The biggest case in example is the United States. You will find gujjus manning motel reception night shifts, small gas stations and grocery stores and doing any kind of jobs they can get their hands on. And we see this all over the world, not only US. While people like me are found here when their company does every thing for them right from processing the visa, booking tickets and hotels, giving forex and taking care of every small detail. And even then our families are worried about where we will get vegetarian food!

When I was in Phoenix, we used to go to a gujarati lady who had a sort of beauty parlor in her home. She was middle aged with a daughter in high school. Her sister in law (husband's sister) was a doctor in phoenix and her father in law was here (not sure how), living with his daughter. They got a family green card done which came after more than a decade. This lady had a flourishing parlor in Ahmedabad and her husband had his own clinic (he was something in the medical field, pathologist I think). They closed all of that, sold off their stuff and moved to the US with their daughter. Now they were in an apartment living on father in laws social security while husband was trying to do the motel night shift (he could not do his medical stuff since he would have to pass exams to get licensed here) and she opened up the parlor to support the family. She also started a bunch of classes for the kids for additional income. All this while the daughter spent all her time on FB, but that is a different story and I do have to say that she got a job in some department store. People who are ready to leave a well settled life and tackle the unknown deserve their hard earned dreams coming true!

So, while it is true that visa ke liye gujju bhai kuch bhi karega, their 'kuch bhi' is really kuch bhi! Go NaMo, show them that a gujju's visa can never be denied!

No comments: