I was a little hesitant to read this book because many of my past experiences with modern Indian authors writing romance has not been very engaging or memorable. They generally tend to go over the top, aping the western romances and that kind of story does not mix very well in the Indian context.
This book was very different from those written by the MBA turned authors. The dialogue was engaging, the humor just right and the story well paced. The characters (even the secondary ones) were well developed and realistic. The author captured the essence of India in the 80s very beautifully. Both the hero and heroine were likable and well written. I really liked the fact that the romance did not rely on western cliches but had very believable Indian bones (loved the reference to Pears soap!). It is very difficult to capture the nuances of the different Indian communities so well without making them caricatures. I am definitely looking forward to Eshu's and Steesh's story!
The only thing I did not like about the book was that it was written in present tense (made me write the review in the past tense just to catch a break!). At points, it distracted me from the story, as it felt that too much was happening at once. It was unnerving to read the emotions and thoughts of the characters in the present tense. I also lost the sense of time because of everything happening in the present, and because there were very few time references. We know that the story spanned over more than a year because there is a reference to the construction taking a year to finish but I would have loved more details just so that the story could build more definitively in my head.
I probably should talk about the storyline too but it is difficult to put it in a few sentences. It is not just about romance, humor and dialogue is a big part of the story. So, I will not put it in bland words and give out a different impression of the story.
I am glad I stumbled across this author.
P.S. - I remember reading a MB style book set in Goa, where the hero's and the heroine's physical characteristics, dress etc. Well, I know all Indians have black eyes and black hair and average height. Are there really any fancy words to describe them differently? And all the happenings, dress etc, it seemed as if it was a western story just set in Goa. This book is about believable India where girls do wear western clothes but salwar kurtas too!
This book was very different from those written by the MBA turned authors. The dialogue was engaging, the humor just right and the story well paced. The characters (even the secondary ones) were well developed and realistic. The author captured the essence of India in the 80s very beautifully. Both the hero and heroine were likable and well written. I really liked the fact that the romance did not rely on western cliches but had very believable Indian bones (loved the reference to Pears soap!). It is very difficult to capture the nuances of the different Indian communities so well without making them caricatures. I am definitely looking forward to Eshu's and Steesh's story!
The only thing I did not like about the book was that it was written in present tense (made me write the review in the past tense just to catch a break!). At points, it distracted me from the story, as it felt that too much was happening at once. It was unnerving to read the emotions and thoughts of the characters in the present tense. I also lost the sense of time because of everything happening in the present, and because there were very few time references. We know that the story spanned over more than a year because there is a reference to the construction taking a year to finish but I would have loved more details just so that the story could build more definitively in my head.
I probably should talk about the storyline too but it is difficult to put it in a few sentences. It is not just about romance, humor and dialogue is a big part of the story. So, I will not put it in bland words and give out a different impression of the story.
I am glad I stumbled across this author.
P.S. - I remember reading a MB style book set in Goa, where the hero's and the heroine's physical characteristics, dress etc. Well, I know all Indians have black eyes and black hair and average height. Are there really any fancy words to describe them differently? And all the happenings, dress etc, it seemed as if it was a western story just set in Goa. This book is about believable India where girls do wear western clothes but salwar kurtas too!
No comments:
Post a Comment