Yes, you have read it right - In the 10 days I have been here - I have seen so much of India that "Incredible India" are the words that come to mind.....I am staying at a place called Wembley and it is more India than India. In fact, I have seen more sarees here than I see on a regular day in Pune.
The weather is fantabulous (although a bit chilly compared by my tropical Indian standards) and I am just happy that I did not have to weather the cold chilly winter.
On the whole, the city is interesting and just like any other European city - although much more modern and faster as compared to Paris. But, then, Paris was much more intriguing, winding, and enticing. It had those narrow lanes everywhere which you wanted to explore.
The one stark similarity is the predominance of Black - you get on the tube, you walk on the streets - it is "People in Black" everywhere. Bahut khush huye to shades of beige, brown and max cream. I stand out with my orange overcoat.
Yesterday was my first rainy day in London. I enjoyed the sun for a week (although the sun has no aukaat in front of the hawa). Everybody took out their umbrella. Although, the rain was not much to a person like me who is used to the tropical showers, I had procured my umbrella after much labor in hot Pune (where shopkeepers looked at me incredulously when I demanded an umbrella - and that too which would fit in a purse!). Just because I had been carrying it around lovingly for a week, I too mine out - and it stood out of the crowd just like its owner. In a sea of black umbrellas interspersed with dark green, dark blue, dark brown, mine was a splash of orange, pink and green!
Currently, I am loving travelling in the tube and walking (hopefully I will lose some weight!) The one hour journey is not tiring, maybe because of the weather. The famed tube is just like the Paris underground - very very well connected. Its just like bombay - the trains overflowing, everybody running, the only difference being that people do not stink and push around.
And yes, people cross streets in front of all traffic - including buses. Reminds me of my India :-)
More updates later - need to go home now.
The weather is fantabulous (although a bit chilly compared by my tropical Indian standards) and I am just happy that I did not have to weather the cold chilly winter.
On the whole, the city is interesting and just like any other European city - although much more modern and faster as compared to Paris. But, then, Paris was much more intriguing, winding, and enticing. It had those narrow lanes everywhere which you wanted to explore.
The one stark similarity is the predominance of Black - you get on the tube, you walk on the streets - it is "People in Black" everywhere. Bahut khush huye to shades of beige, brown and max cream. I stand out with my orange overcoat.
Yesterday was my first rainy day in London. I enjoyed the sun for a week (although the sun has no aukaat in front of the hawa). Everybody took out their umbrella. Although, the rain was not much to a person like me who is used to the tropical showers, I had procured my umbrella after much labor in hot Pune (where shopkeepers looked at me incredulously when I demanded an umbrella - and that too which would fit in a purse!). Just because I had been carrying it around lovingly for a week, I too mine out - and it stood out of the crowd just like its owner. In a sea of black umbrellas interspersed with dark green, dark blue, dark brown, mine was a splash of orange, pink and green!
Currently, I am loving travelling in the tube and walking (hopefully I will lose some weight!) The one hour journey is not tiring, maybe because of the weather. The famed tube is just like the Paris underground - very very well connected. Its just like bombay - the trains overflowing, everybody running, the only difference being that people do not stink and push around.
And yes, people cross streets in front of all traffic - including buses. Reminds me of my India :-)
More updates later - need to go home now.
No comments:
Post a Comment