Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Welcome to London

I was prepared for the cultural shock. Or I thought I was. But I had not anticipated the scale. Almost everybody (here almost stands for 99.9% and not the measly 70% standard in India) is turned out well in terms of dress and grooming. I am yet to see a woman in sneakers - even with jeans. Everyone wears stylish shoes. Even the guys. I never knew men's shoes had so many designs to choose from! India mein to Lee Cooper ki dukaan mein jao aur ek hi design mein black ya brown apne choice ka le lo. I have helped 4 brothers and 2 boy friends get formal shoes in M G Road with a total time consumption of 10 min (with most of the time spent in the queue at the counter to pay the bill).

Well, here its different. While I am on the topic of shoes, a very unique pattern exists here (which I had read somewhere is widely followed in New York too). Since people have to walk a lot, they wear shoes while travelling and change their footwear once they reach office. You can see a lot of footwear lying under desks. Makes sense actually even though you sometimes get shocked after seeing a well dressed person attired in extremely well tailored suit and while you are admiring the suit, your appreciation is abruptly halted by the shoes! But, again, these shoes are not the regular sneakers, but appropriately colored walking shoes. I realized the practicality when I walked one day in high heels. No high heels fashion in tubes, pls!

And so, I thought that I had seen it all. But London was secretly laughing at me. Hua yun, ki mujhe account kholna tha. There is a very funny procedure here. I need to fill in the form and post it to our Cognizant office and they would pass it on to the bank rep. The form did not require a photograph! Well, I did it and sent it. Well, this ICICI guys calls me and tells me that the bank has a new process from April which involves personally meeting each new customer. He was pretty apologetic and stressed that he would take only 10 min. (In India, you have to keep calling them!) Well, when I went to the reception, I could not spot anyone who looked like a salesperson. I stood around for quite a while (since I did not have his mobile no) scrutinizing every one trying to figure out who could fit into the mould. Now if it had been India, I could have asked any of the people loitering there but here....Finally I left a message with my colleague in case the call came at my desk and sat at the reception to wait. And then this well dressed guy beside me asked me if I was waiting for the ICICI person. I absolutely cannot describe my shock. He was extremely well dressed even by London standards!! I just kept staring at him and I still cannot forget the experience. In a hundred years, I would not have rated him close to the person I was waiting for. He apologized that he was not wearing his uniform or a badge. I was like mentally, thank god you are not! My account manager could learn a few lessons from him (He was wearing a pink + red boldly striped shirt with a grey suit which had double cuts. Shayad shadi ke time silwaya hoga).

So much for the cultural shock. I had not anticipated the financial shock. After I somewhat stopped drooling over him, I asked him the credit card procedure. Turns out you will be eligible for ICICI card in UK only if you have stayed here for at least 3 years!! 3 saaal??? India mein bahar khade hokar jabardasti dete rahte hain. Bahar khade to chhodo, I got a ICICI Big Bazaar co branded card for god knows what reason!! I used it for a year, and till today, I do not know why they sent me the card! Seems that I am stuck with a debit card. Not that I mind, but somehow I am not comfortable with the debit card funda.

Hmmm....fun learning to live all over again.....

1 comment:

Deaf Mamma said...

This is so refreshing and hilarious...love to listen more of fashion bytes from there...hhehe