As a rule, I don't generally like the new songs much....Ok- as a prior rule, I don't generally listen to English songs unless I look up the lyrics first - my English being what it is, I don't understand the words and miss the song in trying to run after the words...
So, my first rule applied to our run of the mill hindi songs...normally I prefer oldies (Kishore, Rafi etc) and ghazals. I also like quite a few songs of the 90's esp Udit Narayan's voice but very rarely, I like the jhintak things Bollywood mass produces today. However, I am a big FM fan and sometimes I do across something I like...
Here's a mini compilation of what has grabbed my attention lately.....(listing in random order)
-- Tere Liye from Prince
I liked the song from the first time I heard it. The beat is catchy and the lyrics, though not great, are above average. Watch it here...I watched the video today itself and again, though pretty decent, it did not quite live up to expectation. The beat, settings, dress may set the "desired" mood but the expressions on both Vivek Oberoi's and the lady's face are just so not "IT".....In fact, with a little bit of effort the video would have crossed the line from "artistic" to "sleazy"....All in all, Atif Aslam has done a good job although the song is of the forgettable category and will be lost soon.
Music director - Sachin Gupta
Lyricist- Sameer
-- Zindagi Do Pal Ki from Kites
KK is brilliant here. The first time you hear the song, you just catch the lines "Intezaar kab tak hum karenge balah
Tumhe pyaar kab tak na karenge balah"
and you just cannot escape the pathos of these two lines. Then you pay more attention to the rest of the song and the lyrics are good. KK makes it perfect and slowly you fall in love with the song.
Music - Rajesh Roshan
Lyricist - Asif Ali Beg
-- Dil to bacha hai ji from Ishqiya
Initially I dint like the song at all - because of the 'dil to bach hai ji, thoda kacha hai ji' - how dumb is that! Only Gulzaar can do it! But then when you listen to the rest of the lyrics, you get captivated. The music is also good and song is pretty good overall if you manage to unhear the 'dil to bacha hai' part.
Music - Vishal Bharadwaj
Lyrics - Gulzar
-- Tu Jaane Na from Ajab Prem ki Ghazab Kahani
A winner all the way - music, lyrics, singing! I love this song although initially I had just liked it very much. But like turned to love pretty quickly in this case. Close your eyes and get lost in it. However, I feel that the video does not suit the song much....It has been shot in such exotic locales that your attention is diverted away from the expressions by the set and you also lose out on enjoying the song.
Atif Aslam is simply brilliant (I am becoming a fan)
Music - Pritam Chakraborty
Lyrics - Irshad Kamil
-- Give me some sunshine from 3 Idiots
A song with which every Indian student will identify! Music is brilliant and lyrics are brilliant and Suraj Jaggan continues the brilliancy. Even Sherman Joshi's voice puts a world of expression in his dialogues in the song. The way it starts simply and builds to a crescendo makes it unforgettable
Music - Shantanu Moitra
Lyrics - Swanand Kirkire
Now, I am sleepy - will add more later.
3 comments:
finally tumne phir se blog likhna shuru kiya :)
did u try the "Ab mujhe koi intezar" from Ishqiya
AG - yes the song is superb, thank you for pointing it out. BTW, bache ke sath tumhe time kab milta hai songs ke liye! I realized that you have introduced me to a long list of movies and songs. Thank you :-)
Post a Comment