Hmmmm so love is in the air - Yet Again!
For all the couples it is a time to celebrate their "love" and for all the not so lucky people esp in college, it is a time for some deep sighs and 'eternal wait' poems. Fortunately both the sighs and the poems would be over by the time D-Day actually arrives and they would have a fun time - love or no love.
Being newly married I am supposed to be madly in love and hence I am paying 420$ to go to Austin for the occasion! I am already sighing, not at being apart, but on being emotionally pressurized into spending so much on something which I feel belongs to college life. I firmly believe that this is an occasion of masti in college and deserves importance accordingly. Unfortunately, now my say has only 50% importance......
Valentine's Day always brings memories of youth...maybe because then love was special and sacred....and hence the day was kind of special too......Rediff has reinforced the nostalgia by bringing out the Pehla Nasha series - where in readers are invited to share stories of their first love/crush etc. It has made interesting reading and I realise that people agree - you never ever forget those moments when you get introduced to the maddening emotion (?) which overpowers and overshadows everything else in your life and you never ever forget the heart break which follows too......In retrospect, it might seem funny, stupid, sentimental, call what you will but the fact remains that those memories remain forever etched. Maybe because those feelings were new experiences then and the impact is always more on a clean slate - erasing and rewriting doesn't really have that impact.
As I wait to really celebrate this day in the literal sense for the first time in my life, I was trying to take stock of how far I have really come. Today talking on phone does not hold the meaning it held when there was time when you used to spend hours in anticipation for one call. Giving or receiving gifts is just a chore now - it is not the same as planning and then saving every scrap of gift exchanged - even though it might be yet another soft toy (somebody pls let the guys know that not all girls are crazy about soft toys). Paying the airfare now is not the same as spending the whole salary on phone and fare bills. The list could go on but I will stop before I start remembering stuff which is better off as part of dusty memories.
But this time this day is special in its own way - I am finally getting the ring I had always wanted! I always wanted a platinum ring and had always been disappointed. In fact I had given up on it but fate had other plans. I am only thankful that I am finally getting it from my husband and its legal!! The icing on the cake is that I never got it all the time I asked for it and I am getting it this time when I dint even think about it. Know where I went wrong???? I should have gotten married long back!!!!!!
For all the couples it is a time to celebrate their "love" and for all the not so lucky people esp in college, it is a time for some deep sighs and 'eternal wait' poems. Fortunately both the sighs and the poems would be over by the time D-Day actually arrives and they would have a fun time - love or no love.
Being newly married I am supposed to be madly in love and hence I am paying 420$ to go to Austin for the occasion! I am already sighing, not at being apart, but on being emotionally pressurized into spending so much on something which I feel belongs to college life. I firmly believe that this is an occasion of masti in college and deserves importance accordingly. Unfortunately, now my say has only 50% importance......
Valentine's Day always brings memories of youth...maybe because then love was special and sacred....and hence the day was kind of special too......Rediff has reinforced the nostalgia by bringing out the Pehla Nasha series - where in readers are invited to share stories of their first love/crush etc. It has made interesting reading and I realise that people agree - you never ever forget those moments when you get introduced to the maddening emotion (?) which overpowers and overshadows everything else in your life and you never ever forget the heart break which follows too......In retrospect, it might seem funny, stupid, sentimental, call what you will but the fact remains that those memories remain forever etched. Maybe because those feelings were new experiences then and the impact is always more on a clean slate - erasing and rewriting doesn't really have that impact.
As I wait to really celebrate this day in the literal sense for the first time in my life, I was trying to take stock of how far I have really come. Today talking on phone does not hold the meaning it held when there was time when you used to spend hours in anticipation for one call. Giving or receiving gifts is just a chore now - it is not the same as planning and then saving every scrap of gift exchanged - even though it might be yet another soft toy (somebody pls let the guys know that not all girls are crazy about soft toys). Paying the airfare now is not the same as spending the whole salary on phone and fare bills. The list could go on but I will stop before I start remembering stuff which is better off as part of dusty memories.
But this time this day is special in its own way - I am finally getting the ring I had always wanted! I always wanted a platinum ring and had always been disappointed. In fact I had given up on it but fate had other plans. I am only thankful that I am finally getting it from my husband and its legal!! The icing on the cake is that I never got it all the time I asked for it and I am getting it this time when I dint even think about it. Know where I went wrong???? I should have gotten married long back!!!!!!
2 comments:
How things change - A year back in time I would have been writing such cheesy stuff and you would be laughing your heart out - Now its my turn to laugh ;)
Well even I thought a lot this Valentine's day- this being my 1st after marriage and the truth is that I treasured so much in school & college (when I had no guy in sight for me) and when I have one now with all the "Loouuuvv" I didnt even celebrate it a bit!
Such is the onset of "budhapa" :D
Post a Comment