Thursday, November 03, 2011

Alone Time

This is a phrase which was very popular in our London group - due to the fact that during every outing/activity one or more of our us would be in a 'not so chummy' mood which be a general dampener on our spirits. We were able to have the fun we had thanks to some 'sane' people who did not have pronpensity for such kind of moods (I was of the former kind). So, the term 'alone time' was coined where in the said person would be left alone and ignored while the rest of us tried to enjoy as much as is possible in the proximity of such morose and unsocial moods.

I lost all such privileges after change in marital status. My husband is one of the sane people kind who do not have mood swings and I did not have the heart to impose such a punishment on him. So, I have slowly become used to 'being fit for company' at almost all times. I was such a good girl (?) that I got a break. Pati had to go out of town for this week for some training. By coincidence, my room mate at office is on vacation during this week too. (My office building is an old one is divided into closed rooms - there are 2 of us in a room which holds 8 desks - and that too in one corner of the building so nobody even passes us by - so we just have each other for company and conversation). Therefore, I am enjoying a lot of 'alone time'. It is a very novel experience for me as this is the first time I have been entirely alone in this country. I am trying to relive my bachelor days as hard as I can. I am also enjoying small pleasures like having lights on through big chunks of the house. M does not allow me to have more than one or two lights on at a time. If I am in the kitchen, the family area (adjoining the kitchen with no separating wall) should not have any lights switched on! But the best thing I like is the silence. No tv, no conversation through the day (except for meetings in office) just main aur meri tanhayi. I had always liked having my evening tea in silence - taking the time out to answer life's big questions (which had evaded all philosophers) in my mind. I now realise how much I have missed this ritual.

But hey, I am learning. I will not be sorry to let this go when husband comes back. I realised how long I have to go yet when M asked me about how I felt about his going and whether I would be able to manage alone before he committed to the training- or before he even spoke to his manager about it. I, on the other hand, have never asked him about my Phoenix trips - I have always just booked my tickets and informed him as an afterthought. Sigh! The road from bachelor bliss to marital bliss is very long.........

No comments: