Sunday, January 29, 2012

Context

An example on how the context setting works in male vs female minds:

Yesterday, we went to an Indian store for grocery. A karaoke competition was in full swing at the store. The standard of available candidates was very average and since M sings decently, I egged him to participate. He did not give in even after repeated requests/persuasion from my side.

Later, in the car, I told him 'Itni baar bole gana gane aur bhaav khate rahe and nahi gaye. Aur fir bolte ho Valentines day pe dinner ke liye chalenge - kya fayda!' (he had earlier talked about planning dinner for V day). And his only response was - Singing and valentines day - dono sath mein kya bol rahi ho - main nahi samjha.

I don't know why I thought that he would ever understand the context! In the earlier days, in my youth - I would have demanded understanding as my due - and if the poor guy was not really capable of the simple mental exercise, I would have at least expected that he try his best shot at it.

I wonder if any guy reading this understands the context - and I would like to know if his other half is happy with his 'understanding' in case such a guy does exist.

No comments: