New York trip finally happened and was fun. I had started believing that I would never visit the city at all. It was the last one on the short list of places my husband had promised to take me when we got married. Last year, I almost went by myself to visit friends but a fight with husband canceled my time with friends. And then after our aborted Atlanta trip last December, where we could not agree on what to do, when to do, how long to do, I was in no mood to "vacation" with him and never failed to remind him about my feelings. However, my sister moving back to Phoenix and I spending a week with them and away from my husband, brought me into a charitable mood and I acquiesced with the rider that I would have absolutely no input in the planning and execution.
I was determined to just simply enjoy whatever we did. I did not do any research so that I would not know if there was a good thing I was missing. I declared that I was not interested in museums (what is the use of going there if you are not left to look through stuff in peace?). I told myself that I will come back and have a second chance to make up.
The weather was very bad our first and last day there. Weatherman had predicted a sunny day for our last day and I planned to spend almost all of it in central park that day. This was my only input to the planning process (along with renting the cycles) and unfortunately it started raining 30 minutes into our ride. I had fun riding my bike in the rain. After a long time I got to just enjoy the rain. It was not too fun when I had to change clothes at the airport. Incidently, it rained really heavy when we were driving to the airport on friday to begin our vacation. We got so drenched on the walk from the long term parking to the terminal at austin airport that I had to change clothes even then.
I like NY. It reminded me a lot of London. And the best part was finding my favorite shop Pret. I could not believe it when I saw it from the tour bus. I was ready to walk back a mile from the next stop. Fortunately, they have lots of outlets all over NY, so I did not really have to walk a lot. And we ate there almost everyday! The store holds lots of fond memories of our group in London, in additon to the really yummy hot and cold veg sandwiches and wraps. I loved it so much that when I discovered it in Heathrow during my layover, I bought 2 sandwiches even though I was sick.
I did not get to do a lot of things I would have wanted but the trip was fun. Although the visit to Edison is still pending, we did get to see a good Indian street somewhere in Jersey. Both of us were blown away with the food. Thanks to friends who had the energy to take us to the indian stree even after a very long drive.
I also realised that visiting is fun but I would never want to live there (sorry new yorkers!). The redeeming factor this country has that I am able to avoid the crowds and traffic in India. Here, I park my car right in front of the office door. It does not matter if it is 100 deg outside, I get close parking to wherever I am going. I dont have to struggle with snow and ice or other weather elements. I can afford a house big enough to have a library and a backyard big enough to play in. I would prefer this relaxed and spacious life over all the things NY has to offer.
Hoping to catch up with friends on my next visit.
I was determined to just simply enjoy whatever we did. I did not do any research so that I would not know if there was a good thing I was missing. I declared that I was not interested in museums (what is the use of going there if you are not left to look through stuff in peace?). I told myself that I will come back and have a second chance to make up.
The weather was very bad our first and last day there. Weatherman had predicted a sunny day for our last day and I planned to spend almost all of it in central park that day. This was my only input to the planning process (along with renting the cycles) and unfortunately it started raining 30 minutes into our ride. I had fun riding my bike in the rain. After a long time I got to just enjoy the rain. It was not too fun when I had to change clothes at the airport. Incidently, it rained really heavy when we were driving to the airport on friday to begin our vacation. We got so drenched on the walk from the long term parking to the terminal at austin airport that I had to change clothes even then.
I like NY. It reminded me a lot of London. And the best part was finding my favorite shop Pret. I could not believe it when I saw it from the tour bus. I was ready to walk back a mile from the next stop. Fortunately, they have lots of outlets all over NY, so I did not really have to walk a lot. And we ate there almost everyday! The store holds lots of fond memories of our group in London, in additon to the really yummy hot and cold veg sandwiches and wraps. I loved it so much that when I discovered it in Heathrow during my layover, I bought 2 sandwiches even though I was sick.
I did not get to do a lot of things I would have wanted but the trip was fun. Although the visit to Edison is still pending, we did get to see a good Indian street somewhere in Jersey. Both of us were blown away with the food. Thanks to friends who had the energy to take us to the indian stree even after a very long drive.
I also realised that visiting is fun but I would never want to live there (sorry new yorkers!). The redeeming factor this country has that I am able to avoid the crowds and traffic in India. Here, I park my car right in front of the office door. It does not matter if it is 100 deg outside, I get close parking to wherever I am going. I dont have to struggle with snow and ice or other weather elements. I can afford a house big enough to have a library and a backyard big enough to play in. I would prefer this relaxed and spacious life over all the things NY has to offer.
Hoping to catch up with friends on my next visit.
No comments:
Post a Comment