Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Sweetness of Innocence

The credulousness of some people simply amazes me, mainly because I was never in that category, even as a kid. My sister believed everything our mom told her and unfortunately (?), my niece has inherited it from her.
So, one day, around a couple of years ago, Beth came to me while we were getting ready to go out and said she also wanted "shhooooooo". I, of course, had no clue what she was refering to. She launched into a detailed explanation of how you take the bottle and do "shhhooooo". Me being the unimaginative person I am, bulb did not go on in my head even after this detailed explanation. Finally, she took me to the closet and showed me the bottle - which was - a deodorant. Now, I was in a dilemma - she would not give up because she wanted it and at the same time, I could not put deo on a kid. So, I thought I would just take the bottle near her and keep the nozzle away from her body, spraying the deo into the air, hoping she would not notice.

Fortunately, her dad, the master story teller, came in just then. In a master stroke, he took the bottle from me, held it near her body and just said "shhooooooo" very loudly without depressing the nozzle at all. He did that a couple of times and madam was one very happy customer, having got to use big peoples' stuff.

I was amazed! I dont think I was ever that innocent. Did she really not realize that the sound came from her dad's mouth and not the bottle? Well, I did not go and ask. What is even more amazing that she is now 6 years old, and she still falls for that trick!

Who can not help loving such innocence? The kids come tonight with their parents. Parents stay for a week and the kids then stay on for 2 more weeks, alone with Austin Mom and Dad. I am happy yet nervous about my first foray at complete responsibility for the kids.

No comments: