Monday, June 09, 2014

Holiday

I did not even that there was a movie with this name until M offered it as an option for Sunday on his sister's suggestion. I am always ready to go for Hindi movies although the theater is 30 miles away and uses up at least half a day of the precious weekend. I was a bit ambivalent as my preferences don't always jive with my sill's but I still went ahead since it had been a long time since we watched a hindi movie. And I was pleasantly surprised.

The first half hour was absolute torture. I started fidgeting in my comfortable (thank God for that!) chair and letting my mind wander until the torture ended. Like many Bollywood movies, it made the mistake of explaining a everything in excruciating detail, taking the thrill out of the thriller. I understand that to cater to all audiences, the newer and unfamiliar things need to be explained, but taking 5 sentences to say something when 1 will be sufficient. Either filmmakers think that Indians are really dumb or the hero insists on a lot of screen time. Fortunately, before we could switch off totally, the comedy kicked in and it saved the day. So, although the thriller was not faced paced enough to thrill, the comedy was successful in engaging the audience. After a long time, I saw a movie which did not resort to cheap jokes and still made the audience laugh.

The story line was also a little bit different - it showcased our changing society. Earlier, the hero valiantly fought all evil from the straight and narrow path (winning the 'maa' in the deal) but now our society accepts that there is a lot of grey pushing out the black and whites. So now, we have a man in 'vardi' or uniform, who is not afraid to bend the rules to catch the bad guy, even when bending the rules involves ruthless murders. Truly, cinema is a reflection of the society! Even more interesting is that he was not afraid to bet his loved ones for the bigger cause. This fresh take helped in retaining the interest and although the movie was not too bad, it could have been a very good one with some intelligent editing. I would also love to complain about the song and dance sequences which kept propping up unexpectedly from the woodwork - but what is a Bollywood movie without a few of those? And even though the last song was forced into the movie(10 min to show the departure from the platform????), it was very haunting and something that stayed with me for a long time. Given the successful use of comedy, I think the movie would have ended better with a scene where Govinda is torturing Akshay Kumar and the other guy for all the stories about the marriage mixup. But I guess they wanted to end it on an emotional note.

And the villain? I found him much more attractive than the hero. I am sure Freddy Daruwala is going to go places. It is interesting that in the introductory paragraph in wiki, Govinda is mentioned for his supporting role along with the main actors (what was Sonakshi Sinha's role exactly?) but Daruwala is not mentioned although the story revolved around his character.

The most important question of the day - in which Indian city are girls still bringing in tea and samosas on trays when the guy's family comes to "SEE" the girl?

P.S. - What is the deal with 'A soldier is never off duty'? As if the IT people get to be off duty with all the on call support and extra hours put in even after the work day is over!

No comments: