Friday, July 18, 2014

Tell, who are you


Hectic, stressful week with a lot of fires at work and long tedious doctor visits. The weather did not help and the mood all around was droopy like the heat.
But God smiled and suddenly there was rain and the sun took a break. That, and the arrival of weekend turned the general mood around.

I was able to drive home with the windows down, the sunroof open in the cool refreshing wind. And "sone pe suhaga" was the song on repeat. "Batao tum kaun ho" is true to its genre of cheery romantic songs with catchy lyrics and an even catchier tune. Udit Narayan and Lata M yet again captured the hope and excitement of falling in love and you feel as if you have landed in the midst of "pyaar ka mausan". I was in love (with the song, too old for other things) by the time I reached home. 

I was curious to watch the video and see how the choreographer harmonized with good lyrics and beautiful music. And, I was happy that I listened to the song and fell in love with it before actually watching it. I only wished I could undo the video from my mind. It was almost like watching an elementary school play - where the character literally act out everything they are saying. Even if you succeeded in ignoring Rishi Kapoor's yet another extremely colorful sweater, the ridiculous mimicry passing for choreography is a never to be forgotten torture. First, Manisha Koirala strutted to 'tum sath chalte ho to' and then showed 'bahti samay ki dhara' with her hands as if she was at a dumb charades contest instead of a song and dance. Rishi Kapoor, not to be outdone, comes up with an exaggerated happy face when MK kisses him and then does a salaam  while singing about asking for 'dua'. And then they surpass their individual performances with a joint effort where "bahon ka hear gale mein pehna gaye', becomes literally that. Well, you can't everything fall into place at Bollywood. Needless to say, I have reverted to the audio version and am hoping a lot of therapy and sharing my torture with the blog readers with help me forget this experience.


P.S. - I also watched the other song in the movie "ayegi ayegi woh daudi chali ayegi'
While the song in itself is not too bad, the choreographer continues his atrocious literal interpretation of the lyrics. Rishi Kapoor, with his accordion, is busy proclaiming to his audience, that MK will come running just on hearing his voice, while poor MK is locked in a house. She finally manages to escape and go to him because 'she heard his voice'. I would think that an alpha hero would leave his accordion and concentrate on executing the heroine's escape but who am I to criticize Bollywood. 
For your repeated viewing pleasure:


No comments: