I used to think that V day in India was hyped but I have come to realize that it is nothing compared to the States. Teachers send out lists of all the kids' names to all parents well in advance, and the poor parents have to not only spend money on getting gifts for the whole class but also sit with the kids and make them laboriously write names on the envelopes. And the funny thing is that the young kids don't even know why they are doing it! But now they are older and understand a little bit, as I realized from a conversation with my 7 year old nephew.
Nephew - I know what a date is.
Me - Oh, what is it? I thought it was only on the calendar.
Nephew - No, not that one. A date is when a girl and a boy go out for dinner, then dance and then kiss.
Me - No words......
Maybe I will appreciate this day more as they grow older. Although I should probably start appreciating it now. After all, for the first time ever, M plucked a couple of roses from the garden and presented it to me. First time plucking flowers and first time flowers for me - two firsts, memorable day indeed!
Nephew - I know what a date is.
Me - Oh, what is it? I thought it was only on the calendar.
Nephew - No, not that one. A date is when a girl and a boy go out for dinner, then dance and then kiss.
Me - No words......
Maybe I will appreciate this day more as they grow older. Although I should probably start appreciating it now. After all, for the first time ever, M plucked a couple of roses from the garden and presented it to me. First time plucking flowers and first time flowers for me - two firsts, memorable day indeed!
No comments:
Post a Comment