I was fortunate to be born in independent India with the right to vote automatically granted to every citizen irrespective or gender and caste. Because India got independence so late in the game, the leaders who wrote our constitution got the opportunity to study existing samples and jump ahead in the constitutional learning curve. The right to vote is the one of the basic rights of a citizen, yet women did not have even this right in the older democracies for the longest time. Nothing could be better to show them that they were second class citizens and had better stay in their place. After decades of protests, the suffragette movement finally got women suffrage in the United States on Aug 26, 1920. In the United Kingdom, it was a little different - women over the age of 30 got the right to vote in 1918 but the age limit was brought down to 21 only 10 years later, in 1928.
Although I have never voted legally (once illegally in my cousin's name, who was below 18 herself so I don't know how she got into voter list - but that is India for you!), as a woman I think this right is, well, my right. As a feminist, its importance grows manifold for me - this has been one of the tools historically used to oppress women and I am indebted to each and every suffragette who fought for me. I came across the following postcards from the movement and was so moved by them that I was inspired to break my blog fast and share it here. Although they seem funny in hindsight, they showcase the prevailing attitudes very well, and as a woman and feminist, I can only imagine what the world was then and the uphill battle which was fought. My "sat sat namaskar" to everyone who was directly and indirectly involved in the movement.
See all images at http://dangerousminds.net/comments/absurd_propaganda_postcards_warning_men_about_the_dangers_of_womens_rights

See how the baby is lying unattended because the woman is out protesting for her right. I wonder if it is a doll or a sick child in the bed.

This was is so funny because it is so outrageously chauvinistic.Because the wife is fighting for the right to vote, she has become so 'righteous' that she has the effrontery to pinch the husband's ear to make him clean the house. I like how it is considered 'beyond the pale' that men have to clean. Well, things haven't changed that much in this respect, we still have to pinch ears, although figuratively, to get the guys to clean. I sometimes wish that I could do it literally (!).

Again, it is interesting to see how things have changed so much, yet remained the same. Even today, unmarried women are viewed suspiciously (esp in India) and are derogatorily thought to be the roots of 'unwanted drama' (read issues which equalize the men women playing field) because they don't have a husband and kids to keep them 'busy'.

Of course, you have to force them to not speak out because there are no answers to their questions.

And it is back to the old defensive tactics - comment on their looks when you don't have the answers.

Really - this was the best they could do? Not even worth commenting on.

Poor guy, why isn't his household kingdom running to proclaim him king? See the footnote - there was a "National League for Opposing Women Suffrage". I would dearly love to get hold of their speeches and campaign material. No wonder they lost if the above is an example of their literature.

Don't give women the right to vote because you will have to take of the kids for the hour she will need to go vote?

And this is the best of the lot - heralding the suffragette movement as the harbinger of worst things - like women wearing pants! Thank God the law won't stand for that!! See the pants on the top right emphasizing the potential catastrophe? I liked the note at the bottom of the postcard too, people were not only publishing and circulating them, they were personalizing them too. They were pretty sure of their convictions and positions. I wonder how they would have reacted if they could see 100 years into the future. Women have embraced their masculinity without apology, and I hope one day men are able to embrace their femininity the same way.
This makes me realize how hard each step against a socially accepted evil is and yet we must take them - for the sake of mankind, for the sake of progress and simply for the sake of deserving our rights fought for by other people's blood, sweat and tears.
Although I have never voted legally (once illegally in my cousin's name, who was below 18 herself so I don't know how she got into voter list - but that is India for you!), as a woman I think this right is, well, my right. As a feminist, its importance grows manifold for me - this has been one of the tools historically used to oppress women and I am indebted to each and every suffragette who fought for me. I came across the following postcards from the movement and was so moved by them that I was inspired to break my blog fast and share it here. Although they seem funny in hindsight, they showcase the prevailing attitudes very well, and as a woman and feminist, I can only imagine what the world was then and the uphill battle which was fought. My "sat sat namaskar" to everyone who was directly and indirectly involved in the movement.
See all images at http://dangerousminds.net/comments/absurd_propaganda_postcards_warning_men_about_the_dangers_of_womens_rights

See how the baby is lying unattended because the woman is out protesting for her right. I wonder if it is a doll or a sick child in the bed.

This was is so funny because it is so outrageously chauvinistic.Because the wife is fighting for the right to vote, she has become so 'righteous' that she has the effrontery to pinch the husband's ear to make him clean the house. I like how it is considered 'beyond the pale' that men have to clean. Well, things haven't changed that much in this respect, we still have to pinch ears, although figuratively, to get the guys to clean. I sometimes wish that I could do it literally (!).

Again, it is interesting to see how things have changed so much, yet remained the same. Even today, unmarried women are viewed suspiciously (esp in India) and are derogatorily thought to be the roots of 'unwanted drama' (read issues which equalize the men women playing field) because they don't have a husband and kids to keep them 'busy'.

Of course, you have to force them to not speak out because there are no answers to their questions.

And it is back to the old defensive tactics - comment on their looks when you don't have the answers.

Really - this was the best they could do? Not even worth commenting on.

Poor guy, why isn't his household kingdom running to proclaim him king? See the footnote - there was a "National League for Opposing Women Suffrage". I would dearly love to get hold of their speeches and campaign material. No wonder they lost if the above is an example of their literature.

Don't give women the right to vote because you will have to take of the kids for the hour she will need to go vote?

And this is the best of the lot - heralding the suffragette movement as the harbinger of worst things - like women wearing pants! Thank God the law won't stand for that!! See the pants on the top right emphasizing the potential catastrophe? I liked the note at the bottom of the postcard too, people were not only publishing and circulating them, they were personalizing them too. They were pretty sure of their convictions and positions. I wonder how they would have reacted if they could see 100 years into the future. Women have embraced their masculinity without apology, and I hope one day men are able to embrace their femininity the same way.
This makes me realize how hard each step against a socially accepted evil is and yet we must take them - for the sake of mankind, for the sake of progress and simply for the sake of deserving our rights fought for by other people's blood, sweat and tears.
No comments:
Post a Comment