Monday, May 10, 2010

Holiday

Beth is learning new things everyday in the Montessori she attends and I am always pretty excited about them. Her curriculum is varied - ranging from fastening buttons on a shirt to transferring stuff from one bowl to another using spoons to coloring etc. Additionally she has started discovering the American way of speaking and it took a lot of figuring out the first time she instructed her mom to "throw something in the trash".

I am always interested in hearing her speak and ask her to repeat things on the phone. She, of course, doesn't always find it interesting. A conversation which happened recently:

Me: Bethu, kool mein kya seekha?
Beth: Days of the week
Me: Mayu ko batao
Beth: Nahi batayega, pitti mayu! (gives one pitti/slap to the cellphone)
Me: Achcha aaj kool nahi gayi?
Beth: Nahi, aaj holiday hai.
Me: Holiday kya hota hai?
Seeing another pitti coming, her mom comes to the rescue
Mom: Mayu ko nahi pata hai, aap bata do.
She gravely considers it and then takes pity (not pitti) on me
Beth: Days aise hota hai - Sunday, monday, tuesday, friday, HOLIDAY!!
(She has been told that holiday comes after friday)
I started laughing uncontrollably
Beth: Mayu hanso nahi, pitti pitti pitti.
After a lot of quick pittis, the cellphone is thrown away!

It seems that when I was a kid I also used to hand out 'pittis' to people who dared to laugh in front of me. My sister is more happy about me facing this behavior than scared about her having to face it again!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Pandeji,didnot knw u started blogging again. Read all of them after the feb 19 wala..

but this one's the best.. real cute one :-)

Dips said...

haan I finally started again. Ab mere paas broadband hai aakhir:-)