Monday, May 31, 2010

The Lost Symbol

First of all, sorry for the long (in terms of my recent posting frequency) absence from this blog. The irony is that I have absolutely no interesting work in office but still I do not get a minute to spare! Am on to a couple of projects about which I will write soon and a couple of other things are horribly eating up into my time.

Second of all, a very interesting thing concluding today is "JQ's house hunt'. Promise to write more on this later.

And now - on to the post.

I had expected more from this book.

I was in London when this book was released and all of us were waiting eagerly for it (the fact that we took the Da Vinci Walk in Paris and went to watch Angels and Demons after paying 7.5 pounds shows our interest hopefully). After a lot of back and forth on who would gift the book to whom so that all interested parties could lay hands on it, I finally gifted it A as a going away gift.
When I came to Pune, I restrained myself from running off to Landmark and buying my own copy. Instead, feeling like a fool, I waited for A to come to India and lend me her copy! - which she finally did (after the book had completed its long Bombay stay).
Now, I am glad that I did not spend money on it. I am also upset that I gave this book to A.

Even though I expected it to be on symbology, Masons etc like the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, at least it could have been more gripping and thrilling like the two predecessor. Till date, I am unable to offhand differentiate between the two books but both were interesting and readable in one go. In fact, I feel that even Digital Fortress held the readers attention much more than the lost symbol (I dont really remember Deception Point now).

I will not put all the blame on Dan Brown. Personally, I had already been to the places mentioned in the two books and could relate a teeny weeny bit more. Teeny weeny because although I had visited the places, I had not known anything about the historical significance about them. This book is all about Washington DC where I havent been and neither have I heard much about it.

The climax was good.

No comments: