I have been getting serious about my running - leading to aching ankles and knees which forced me to acknowledge that I require good real running shoes. As usual, the problem in US is the overwhelming array of choices for really simple things. Luckily, my doctor recommended the Runtones from Reebok and I thought I would just verify its reviews and go with it. I came across the following while I was doing my research.
http://news.consumerreports.org/safety/2011/09/rebock-fined-25-million-over-misleading-advertisement-of-toning-shoes.html
It seems that Reebok was fined by FDC and had to recall the shoes because they made unsubstantiated claims about the toning properties of the footwear in their advertisements. Recall for shoes? Unbelievable!
Now, it is common to see product recalls for defective auto parts and maybe electronics, but shoes?
Even more amazing than the fact of the recall is that the FDC, being the regulator, actively looked at the advertisement and the claims made therein.
Now I understand why the companies here are mad about data and why everyone is always doing surveys.
What would be an analogous situation in India? I am reminded of Deepika ji's Nirma ad- "Jab wahi safedi mujhe kam daam mein mile to koi woh kyon le, ye na le? I am the Indian regulators, if they exist,would be busy taking Deepika ji's autograph (she was really popular then with all the crying under the Ashoka tree as Sita) with no thoughts about how Nirma claims to give "wahi" safedi? And of course, Nirma went on to be one of the highly successful brands/companies.
No comments:
Post a Comment