Monday, March 18, 2013

F.T. #11 - Forgiveness?

As I have mentioned earlier (I  think), I have started reading a lot of the free Kindle books on the Kindle Store. The good thing is that the list keeps changing i.e. a few books are made free for a few hours so I can always be sure that I will be able to lay my hands on a new book anytime I want.
So, I end up reading a variety of books - across genres, quality and writing. Some are great finds, some good while the majority are ok with a few really bad thrown into the mix. Unfortunately, there have been a couple where I ulitmately had to abandon the book half way and believe me THAT is a big sacrilege for a compulsive reader.

So, with all this mix, there has been one theme which keeps coming up. People who were close once and then got separated by circumstances, differences both ideological and practical, weak relationship foundations, random uncontrollabe incidents etc, get together after a number of years and then successfully patch up the relationship. I am not just talking about a romantic relationship - that is the most common but it can be a friend, a parent or a sibling. The question swirling around in my head whenever I read this kind of book is how the protagonists manage to bury what separated them and all the intervening years when they were apart, each nursing their own hurt and angst? Is it possible to patch up such a broken relationship? I have never been able to do it and I know I have tried hard. I can simply not forget the hurt. Maybe because, although I might I have forgiven the other person (and I have generally), I am never able to forgive myself. I somehow blame myself whenever I am hurt because I feel that ulimately, I got hurt because I made myself vulnerable to another person. I always used to think that Love is the thing that should matter in the end but love does not stand a chance against a defensive wall. Unfortunately, although my head knows what is wrong with me, my heart does not and refuses to open up and my relationships continue to suffer. I guess I should go to a psychiatrist who will take thousands of dollars and trace it all back to my childhood :) On second thoughts, I don't really need a shrink to tell me that.

Another question - why is a romatic relationship the most common in such themes? Is it because it is the most fragile of our relationships? Why is the most important relationship the most fragile?

No comments: