Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Google in our lives - Part 3

And the Google sage continues:

In our daily games, we have now graduated to asking General Knowledge questions and answers and points (now they know what million is) and medals (gold and silver) are awarded to the answers. When asked which is the larget country in Asia, Beth quickly paused Factime and after a minute she comes back and starts shouting 'Russia' and asking for points and a medal. When I asked her why she had paused the Facetime, she said because she was googling for the answer. Googling? A 5 year old? I was not ready to believe it. I asked her how she did it and she acted as if it was the dumbest question till date. Well, I realized I had to break the question in manageable parts:

First: Did you do it on the iPad?
Ans: Yes
Second: What did you touch on the screen?
Ans: The goolge app!
Third (hmmm): The blue one?
Ans: Yes, the blue one which says g.

I freaked out totally. If she was really doing it, then it would mean that ALL information from google is now available to her and I cannot even imagine trying to regulate a 5 year old's access to all that information. Anyway, I refused to believe and asked her if she could find out what was the smalled country in Asia. And I asked her mom to check what she was doing.

2 minutes later I get the answer:
"I googled and they told me that the largest country is Asia but they said that they didn't know the answer for the smallest country"

Of course, all of us burst out laughing. It seems the iPad had lost connection and she did not get a search result. I hope Larry Page and Sergey Brin did not get nightmares because a 5 year old said that Google told her they did not have answers!

No comments: