I had talked about Google just a couple of posts ago. I realised the extent to which Google is a part of the kids' everyday lives the other day.
I play a game with the kids - I teach them Hindi words for the regular stuff in their lives - colors, numbers, things etc. Then we play a game in which I keep asking them in a fun way about the stuff they have learnt. Sometimes, my questions are in Hindi and they respond in English and sometimes the other way round. Beth is the main and serious player - Simba just repeats whatever his sister says.
Now, Beth has come up with a comparative game of her own. The kids have french classes at school and their french vocab is amazingly increasing. Unfortunately, Beth's parents have told her that I have lived in France and 'know' french. So the game is that she calls out the French words and I (and sometimes the parents) have to give the English word. The game is full of minefields because madam is cop + teacher combined and you can never know when you will get a scolding.
Anyway we were playing the game a couple of evenings ago and she started the game by asking what 'La Chevre' meant and then saying 'no googling anybody'. She even insisted on seeing me on Facetime to make sure that I did not surreptitiously google. All of this was done very matter of factly - almost like the way our teachers used to treat cheating. I was surprised at first that she could connect our googling habit to this game but it is no wonder given the deadly combination of teacher and cop characteristics in her.
I play a game with the kids - I teach them Hindi words for the regular stuff in their lives - colors, numbers, things etc. Then we play a game in which I keep asking them in a fun way about the stuff they have learnt. Sometimes, my questions are in Hindi and they respond in English and sometimes the other way round. Beth is the main and serious player - Simba just repeats whatever his sister says.
Now, Beth has come up with a comparative game of her own. The kids have french classes at school and their french vocab is amazingly increasing. Unfortunately, Beth's parents have told her that I have lived in France and 'know' french. So the game is that she calls out the French words and I (and sometimes the parents) have to give the English word. The game is full of minefields because madam is cop + teacher combined and you can never know when you will get a scolding.
Anyway we were playing the game a couple of evenings ago and she started the game by asking what 'La Chevre' meant and then saying 'no googling anybody'. She even insisted on seeing me on Facetime to make sure that I did not surreptitiously google. All of this was done very matter of factly - almost like the way our teachers used to treat cheating. I was surprised at first that she could connect our googling habit to this game but it is no wonder given the deadly combination of teacher and cop characteristics in her.
No comments:
Post a Comment