Driving in India is an Art, that too with a capital A. Forget the science of rules supposed to have been formulated to direct traffic in an orderly manner. At best, you can say that every city has its own set of unwritten rules.
I really believe in the 'Art' part of it. For one, it makes me happy to know that I am capable of being good at at least one! I can never forget the days when I had to pass my drawing exams entirely on one cat, one mouse and a landscape (that too a typical one with mountains, sun, birds, river and a hut). Skeptics can just try navigating a busy intersection which has no or dysfunctional traffic lights and a couple of PMT buses, lots of autos and hordes of two wheelers with pedestrians and other four wheelers thrown in for diversity - and they will never again even think of the word 'science'.
The situation is compounded in Pune, where the roads are narrow, no one ways or dividers to speak of. After spending a lifetime of being frustrated by the traffic - I took the only solution available - i started shutting it out. I took the pledge of not letting bad drivers ruin my mood and day. This worked fine to some extent. I am still trying to cling on to the pledge - in spite of the fact that three times last week, a two wheeler came from my left and turned right just in front of me, simply ignoring the fact that I was taking a left and my left indicator was ON full tilt. And if I hit this guy, I as the four wheeler driver (and a female driver to boot) would have hell to pay. pata nahi 30 seconds mein uska kya jata - taking the right turn behind me, instead of in front of me!
Then again, today, I was happily going on my way on the left side of the road, a 800 comes in front of me and when I honk, the guy has the audacity to shake his fist at me! No matter that he is in my lane!!
I think the situation might not be so bad if we could just keep in mind some small things. I have been both a biker (Pulsar, Karizma, Activa, Scooty) and a four wheeler driver (Santro, Swift). I must say that looking at the bikers now, I was never in their league ever! I never, never would overtake a car, leave alone a bus, in a narrow road. In fact, my friends feel that I give way too much space even now when I overtake a truck in my car.
I revert to bullets (which PP calls my style of blog writing)
I really believe in the 'Art' part of it. For one, it makes me happy to know that I am capable of being good at at least one! I can never forget the days when I had to pass my drawing exams entirely on one cat, one mouse and a landscape (that too a typical one with mountains, sun, birds, river and a hut). Skeptics can just try navigating a busy intersection which has no or dysfunctional traffic lights and a couple of PMT buses, lots of autos and hordes of two wheelers with pedestrians and other four wheelers thrown in for diversity - and they will never again even think of the word 'science'.
The situation is compounded in Pune, where the roads are narrow, no one ways or dividers to speak of. After spending a lifetime of being frustrated by the traffic - I took the only solution available - i started shutting it out. I took the pledge of not letting bad drivers ruin my mood and day. This worked fine to some extent. I am still trying to cling on to the pledge - in spite of the fact that three times last week, a two wheeler came from my left and turned right just in front of me, simply ignoring the fact that I was taking a left and my left indicator was ON full tilt. And if I hit this guy, I as the four wheeler driver (and a female driver to boot) would have hell to pay. pata nahi 30 seconds mein uska kya jata - taking the right turn behind me, instead of in front of me!
Then again, today, I was happily going on my way on the left side of the road, a 800 comes in front of me and when I honk, the guy has the audacity to shake his fist at me! No matter that he is in my lane!!
I think the situation might not be so bad if we could just keep in mind some small things. I have been both a biker (Pulsar, Karizma, Activa, Scooty) and a four wheeler driver (Santro, Swift). I must say that looking at the bikers now, I was never in their league ever! I never, never would overtake a car, leave alone a bus, in a narrow road. In fact, my friends feel that I give way too much space even now when I overtake a truck in my car.
I revert to bullets (which PP calls my style of blog writing)
- Two wheelers - Please wear a helmet
- Dont overtake a car from the right - i know this goes against the book but four wheeler drivers are ready for two wheelers from the left but not from the right.
- Cab drivers - No harm done if you overtake me after a minute when there is more space on the road. I will gladly give you way!
- Trucks - Please do not drive in the middle of the road. Choose a side - I dont care if it is right or left but let me pass!
- Guys - If you want to get into a fight with another driver, you are welcome to shout at each other, but please pull over to the side of the road so that we do not have to watch a free show and be late for work.
- Do not overtake a bus or a truck especially if it is turning - they are too big to see you - more so when you are on a two wheeler
- Please respect the PMT bus drivers - they drive those big lumbers in narrow streets throughout the day and have to stick to a schedule. Their seats are not comfortable and the pay is lousy. Give them some space! (I read an article in Pune Mirror where the drivers said that most of the times, two wheelers try to overtake them in ridiculous situations)
- Be generous for once and give someone the right of way occasionally. Doesnt hurt to give an inch which could unlock a difficult deadlock. You also need to get out of it! and you will earn punya in the process!
- Dont drive too fast unnecessarily - what's the rush?
- The busy road is for driving - not for parking!
- I wonder about driving in US - when a driver like Pankaj can be considered as a 'good' driver, then what about the lesser mortals?? And what about the people to whom he is giving 'lessons'!
- On second thoughts, when everybody follows rules and maintains distance, what is there in driving - yahi to art hai ki chipak chipak ke kitna nikal sakte ho - the killing suspense whether you can move a centimetre closer without actually touching the guy!
- Repeat - Please wear a helmet - you never know what can happen.
1 comment:
Pande ji... no wonder PP enjoyed it sooo much complaining u about me.
Post a Comment