Monday, April 25, 2011

Can I Face It?

I had deleted my orkut and Facebook accounts long back. In fact it was a hard decision at that time as they were my jama poonji and represented a lot of time n effort both on my and my friends' parts. But I had to take those drastic steps then. And then life actually became a lot more relaxed, stress free and happy. The compulsion to keep on checking the accounts and other peoples profiles was very stressful on the mind, eyes, emotions and time. Even more stressful was the guilt associated with not responding to people. For a person like me who was always wanting to get rid of her phone, this additional means of being accessible to people was just an additional source of guilt and frustration. So, I relaxed a lot when I deleted all my traces from the online world. However, I could not bring myself to delete my blog and I am thankful that I did not!

Although positive on the whole, this step did have some major drawbacks. Now, I have no idea about what is happening in my friends lives. Every couple of days something happens and someone tells me that I should be on Facebook. Manghani was leaving for India and I called him just out of the blue. I was happy that I called just in time- we were able to talk only because his flight was delayed and he thought I called him because I saw his Facebook status! I ask people about trips and I get the response that the pics are on FB. I sent an email to the London gang commenting on lack of activity and Smitesh promptly replied that all updates were on FB! As for PP, for every pic of him and his badminton racquets, I have to go to FB. I have begun to feel that I am missing out on a lot  of stuff and it is high time to get back into the thick of things.

But, I am not sure if I am ready for it. After a long long time, I am mentally at peace and I dare not disturb the fragile equilibrium. I have been straddling the fence for a couple of months now, lets see which way I finally fall.

P.S. - As usual, when I was looking for my old post to link with this one, I saw that JQ had commented that time is a big healer and later on I will not find it even worth a thought. How true! Now, its importance has become so less that I am contemplating going back on the online world. Thanks JQ!

No comments: