Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Happy Diwali

Here's wishing a wonderful Diwali to all my friends. This year I have decided to move a step forward and put in some effort to make Diwali special and memorable. So:
  1. Wearing Indian clothes in office today.
  2. Made gujiya over the weekend
  3. Cooking special food including traditional things like pooris and kheer (which I never make because neither of us is too fond of them)
  4. Making Rangoli - this is the very FIRST time I will make rangoli - will do it this evening after work (fingers crossed). Since I am zero on creativity, I hope youtube will not let me down.
  5. Lights - this project moves very slowly. Last year I got the trees and front porch covered. This year there was a very small increment towards the garage. Until I am able to cover the upper story, I will not say that I have put lights!
  6. Tealights - Since diyas are too expensive (1.50 $ for one diya) and I am not sure about the rules regarding lighting them, I am planning to use tealights.
  7. Missed the Diwali fair in San Antonio this year because I did not know about it - but have it on my list for next year.
Kickoff has already been awesome with one of the very few Indian people bringing in donuts in place of traditional Indian sweets. When I realised that I did not remember ONE thing about last Diwali, I knew it was time to get my act together! I concluded that I must have been in Austin because I saw a diya lying around (and because I could not be anywhere else) and that is NOT the way to remember Diwalis.

 

No comments: