I must have been the last person to watch JTHJ! Not for lack of enthusiasm (I showed rare excitement for a Shahrukh movie) but for opportunity. Unfortunately, the movie released mid week and the Saturday after the release we went to Lost Maples to see the fall colors. Last year when we went to Lost Maples, it was the weekend when Rockstar was released and I was dying to watch it. We lost our way on the drive back and 3.5 hours return drive ended up in a 5 hour marathon drive. In spite of that, I made Manas stop for the 10pm night show. And I remember being really disappointed with the movie although the songs more than made up for Fakhri's extremely doplorable 'acting', another one of Bollywood's fatal diseases and an escapist ending.
This year was almost a repeat, although we did not get lost (thank god - lost in lost maples sounds too cheesy). Since we would be vacationing in Florida the following weekend, I petitioned getting the movie out of the way that weekend. We killed an hour in Starbucks and reached the theater at 9.10 for the 9.50pm show. And we found out that only 20 tickets were left! We should have expected it - after all it was a Shahrukh - Yash Chopra movie and this was the first weekend, that too Saturday. Anyway, laut ke buddhu ghar ko aaye. After we came back from Florida on monday night, I was worried that it was 2 weeks and the movie would go off from the theater if we waited till Saturday. And surprises of all, Manas agree to go tuesday night itself when I broached it in the evening. This was VERY surprising. He NEVER agrees to do things impulsively. Everything has to be planned. Although, I am a planner in the bigger things, he leaves me far behind in the smaller ones. For eg, he discusses what time should we leave 2 days before the actual event (I am not kidding). He never agrees to eat out on the spur of the moment (we have to agree that we will have dinner outside before we leave the house for chores - you cannot suggest it while you are getting the groceries). Well, I am digressing - anyway, I was pretty surprised but did not comment as I did not want to tempt fate and we got ready for the 10pm show.
I did not go to the movie expecting to like the story. I am a big failure at love and do not even pretend to understand "love" stories. I felt that DTPH and Veer Zaara stories were foolish. But I did expect great songs and locations. I was pleasantly surprised that it was shot mostly in London. It was a very pleasant nostalgic journey for me looking at all the landmarks and remembering my last carefree time as a bachelor. But I was very very upset about the songs. There were so few (maybe a couple were edited out?) and only one was in hindi, the others being in difficult Punjabi. For once, I was thankful for the English subtitles in Hindi movies, somthing I have always hated in theatres outside India. I had never thought that I would need subtitles to understand a Bollywood song! (Lyrics are very important to me - that is why I generally dont listen to English songs - I fail to understand the words). It was VERY disappointing. Yash Chopra's movies have been great in songs and it was a let down that this one did not have any hummable song which would remain with you long after the movie faded. Even the title song was dampening. And Shahrukh's expression was different in this movie. He seemed so angry at the emotional moments which is very unnatural for him. While I think that showing a hero angry yet helplessly in love with a girl to the point where he is almost patronizing, is a novel concept for Bollywood, I wonder if that was the intention or just bad depiction or 'intense emotion' on Shahrukh's part. And don't even let me get started on Anushka. I simply do not understand how she is so hit - I find her irritating. Katrina was so better, at least she is good to the eyes and ears even though she does not know acting.
So what did I like about the movie? I loved the shayari at the beginning. I loved the cinematography and the locations. I liked the fact that for once the hero and heroine are separated by their own convictions and differences rather than a third person or misunderstanding. (I don't recall any Bollywood movie where this has happened). I liked that a woman believed so strongly in her convictions that she could give up the man she loved for her beliefs. I liked the movie for taking me back to a place where I had been free and which helped me regain a lot of peace of mind. I liked the fact that the story writer made a woman leave a husband who did not have any negative quality to justify this step. It is time Bollywood woke up to the fact that a couple can grow apart if something is missing in their relationship even when there is nothing wrong on the surface - divorce does not happen only where there is abuse, violence or negativity. 10 years ago, I would have never thought that this would be possible in the real world and would chalk it up to "Bollywood license" but now I am forced to accept it is a fact and I can empathize with the audience struggling to understand why a wife would leave a husband who was not 'bad'. (Somebody once asked my why Rani was not happy in her marriage to Abhishek in Kabhi Alvida na Kehna but that is another story.)
London folks, I missed all of you! Thank you for being a part of my life. Even though the time was short, you guys have an important part of my heart!
P.S - For a city which has tooooo much desi population, it was weird that all the background London people in the movie were goras and sometimes blacks. No desi? In a place where it is quite normal to hear Hindi on the road or train?
P.P.S - I always used to refer to myself as a bachelor. In my mind, somehow spinster has a negative connotation as if the girl COULD not get married although she tried hard but bachelor gives a picture of choosing fun and frolic over marital ties.
P.P.P.S - I hate the fact that theatres here do not have seat numbers. Even if you book your tickets in advance, you might end up sitting in the front if you arrive late and the better seats are already taken. You have reach around 45 minutes early for even mildly anticipated movies. They should learn something from Indian cinemas!
P.P.P.P.S - Thats all for now!
This year was almost a repeat, although we did not get lost (thank god - lost in lost maples sounds too cheesy). Since we would be vacationing in Florida the following weekend, I petitioned getting the movie out of the way that weekend. We killed an hour in Starbucks and reached the theater at 9.10 for the 9.50pm show. And we found out that only 20 tickets were left! We should have expected it - after all it was a Shahrukh - Yash Chopra movie and this was the first weekend, that too Saturday. Anyway, laut ke buddhu ghar ko aaye. After we came back from Florida on monday night, I was worried that it was 2 weeks and the movie would go off from the theater if we waited till Saturday. And surprises of all, Manas agree to go tuesday night itself when I broached it in the evening. This was VERY surprising. He NEVER agrees to do things impulsively. Everything has to be planned. Although, I am a planner in the bigger things, he leaves me far behind in the smaller ones. For eg, he discusses what time should we leave 2 days before the actual event (I am not kidding). He never agrees to eat out on the spur of the moment (we have to agree that we will have dinner outside before we leave the house for chores - you cannot suggest it while you are getting the groceries). Well, I am digressing - anyway, I was pretty surprised but did not comment as I did not want to tempt fate and we got ready for the 10pm show.
I did not go to the movie expecting to like the story. I am a big failure at love and do not even pretend to understand "love" stories. I felt that DTPH and Veer Zaara stories were foolish. But I did expect great songs and locations. I was pleasantly surprised that it was shot mostly in London. It was a very pleasant nostalgic journey for me looking at all the landmarks and remembering my last carefree time as a bachelor. But I was very very upset about the songs. There were so few (maybe a couple were edited out?) and only one was in hindi, the others being in difficult Punjabi. For once, I was thankful for the English subtitles in Hindi movies, somthing I have always hated in theatres outside India. I had never thought that I would need subtitles to understand a Bollywood song! (Lyrics are very important to me - that is why I generally dont listen to English songs - I fail to understand the words). It was VERY disappointing. Yash Chopra's movies have been great in songs and it was a let down that this one did not have any hummable song which would remain with you long after the movie faded. Even the title song was dampening. And Shahrukh's expression was different in this movie. He seemed so angry at the emotional moments which is very unnatural for him. While I think that showing a hero angry yet helplessly in love with a girl to the point where he is almost patronizing, is a novel concept for Bollywood, I wonder if that was the intention or just bad depiction or 'intense emotion' on Shahrukh's part. And don't even let me get started on Anushka. I simply do not understand how she is so hit - I find her irritating. Katrina was so better, at least she is good to the eyes and ears even though she does not know acting.
So what did I like about the movie? I loved the shayari at the beginning. I loved the cinematography and the locations. I liked the fact that for once the hero and heroine are separated by their own convictions and differences rather than a third person or misunderstanding. (I don't recall any Bollywood movie where this has happened). I liked that a woman believed so strongly in her convictions that she could give up the man she loved for her beliefs. I liked the movie for taking me back to a place where I had been free and which helped me regain a lot of peace of mind. I liked the fact that the story writer made a woman leave a husband who did not have any negative quality to justify this step. It is time Bollywood woke up to the fact that a couple can grow apart if something is missing in their relationship even when there is nothing wrong on the surface - divorce does not happen only where there is abuse, violence or negativity. 10 years ago, I would have never thought that this would be possible in the real world and would chalk it up to "Bollywood license" but now I am forced to accept it is a fact and I can empathize with the audience struggling to understand why a wife would leave a husband who was not 'bad'. (Somebody once asked my why Rani was not happy in her marriage to Abhishek in Kabhi Alvida na Kehna but that is another story.)
London folks, I missed all of you! Thank you for being a part of my life. Even though the time was short, you guys have an important part of my heart!
P.S - For a city which has tooooo much desi population, it was weird that all the background London people in the movie were goras and sometimes blacks. No desi? In a place where it is quite normal to hear Hindi on the road or train?
P.P.S - I always used to refer to myself as a bachelor. In my mind, somehow spinster has a negative connotation as if the girl COULD not get married although she tried hard but bachelor gives a picture of choosing fun and frolic over marital ties.
P.P.P.S - I hate the fact that theatres here do not have seat numbers. Even if you book your tickets in advance, you might end up sitting in the front if you arrive late and the better seats are already taken. You have reach around 45 minutes early for even mildly anticipated movies. They should learn something from Indian cinemas!
P.P.P.P.S - Thats all for now!
2 comments:
Deeptiji even in UK Cineworld they didnt have seat numbers..aap bhul gaye kya?? :)
Arey nahi, Ash,but UK mein we were always in a group so we would have a lot of fun pulling legs and doing timepass. But now it is only the two of us and waiting gets very boring! We would have exhausted our limited quota at home or in the car and the wait time is ultimately spent surfing on the phone! Aur yahan to e-square jaise samose bhi nahi ki kuch kha pekar time pass ho jaye.
Post a Comment