Thursday, November 29, 2012

Office Humor

Offices outside India generally have refrigerators where people can label and store their stuff. In fact, you don't even label it if your container or food is distinctive which will not be easily confused with others. I don't know how or why that trend is there but I think there are 3 major reasons which prevent it from happening in India. First the people to space ratio in India is such that we would need one floor for refrigerators to accomodate everybody's food. Second, as Indians, we believe in hot food - idlis/vadas/parathas/poha are preferred breakfast options and cereals are just 'majboori'. Salad for us is a side, never a main dish. Frozen food is only for the people lowest in the cooking ladder (bachelors who do not get a bai). So, fridge in office will not serve a lot.

And thirdly and most importantly, I am not sure that people in India will not eat up each other's stuff if they are kept just like that in the fridge. I am sure if I leave anything, I will find it gone when I go to have it, even if I put my name on it! And people will say that the person who kept it there in the first place was foolish to leave it where anybody could take it!

Anyway, the fridge in my new office has this sticker on the door and it always reminds me of the third reason above:

Source: http://www.someecards.com/usercards/viewcard/MjAxMi1mMDE5ZWVhZDM5NjhkMjQ5

 

2 comments:

Dream On.. said...

Deepti ji this always reminds me of London. Jaha Tesco se milk laake fridge mein rakho and cornflakes office mein khao.I also remember Manjit's hissing fir when somebody used his milk :D:D. so its not just india. Waha bhi hota hai :P

Dips said...

Ha ha I agree Ashvini. And maybe Manjit bhi kisi ka use kar leta hoga. Ho sakta hai Indians brought that trend to the UK!