Friday, January 25, 2013

F. Thought #6 - Unavoidable Regrets

All of us have to deal with regrets at some point in our lives (some bevakoof ones love to make them a part of their daily lives). So, in my new avatar, I have been thinking about how regrets ruin a perfectly  nice day and my thoughts stumbled on the concept of "Unavoidable Regrets". We generally tend to take 'unavoidable' issues in our stride - traffic delays, fickleness of weather, flight cancellations, short sickness, out of stock etc. We grumble but do not really take it to heart or fret about it. We do not spend ages dissecting the hows and whys and wheretofores of it. In fact, the only time spent on it is on deciding what to do next i.e. how to tackle it.

Now look at regrets - the big ones and small ones. We always think of them with a twinge - big or small. We (or at least I) spend tons of time thinking about what I could have done so that the situation ended differently. I let my heart break - over and over again, each time of I think of them. Whenever I go down memory lane, I am haunted by the path not taken and the life not lived. This is very weird juxtaposed with the fact that I am a person who takes a decision after much deliberation and then rarely changes it. I know I would not change my decision, but I cannot help wondering about what would have happened if I had not decided as I had.

The perfect way to deal with this is to tack the word "unavoidable" to these regrets. Regrets bother you but as soon as your mind sees the word 'unavoidable', it processes the word to mean that it cannot be helped and it does not bother to bother you! Neat, huh? I tried it and it really kind of works! So people, sooner or later, you will have to make a decision that will affect the course of your life. You will always think about that decision and no matter what you decide, you will always wonder about the "path not taken". The "life not lived" is exactly what it is - life not lived. Attach the word 'unavoidable' and you are good to go about the 'life actually lived'.

No comments: