Thursday, June 09, 2011

Kachchi Dhoop

I got a virtual tight slap from Meenal for my previous two reviews. In these busy times when she somehow takes out time to write 2 lines, I got a full email dedicated to my blogging. In typical Meenal fashion, she blamed me for watching such "bad" movies and then blaming Bollywood! She has commanded me to ask for her suggestions and I definitely bow to her and Kunal in all matters Bollywood. So, for all junta out there, a properly chastened Deepti's next movie is going to be "Tere Bin Laden" and then I ll review it here. BTW, I have heard that it is fab.

Now to my topic. I thought as a means of redeeming myself in madam's eyes I will close my review series with something I really liked. Although this falls more into "Doordarshan" rather than "Bollywood" still I ll take my chance on using this to move back into her good graces.
Doordarshan holds a lot of fond memories for my generation. The sundays dedicated to Mahabharat and Ramayan and the movies over the weekends. The movies used to have a break in between and we would scramble to finish dinner and other chores in that break. And then chitrahaar and rangoli were highlights of the week. And I am sure all of us still remember the music and the symbol when broadcasting started and ended each day.

I dont really remember Kachchi Dhoop from that time. It was broadcase in 1987 and we got our TV in june of that year so I am not sure if I watched it then. Also, at that time we used to sleep early so we missed quite a lot of serials. I was going through Rajshri.com randomly when I came across it and my interest was piqued when it said that this serial introduced Bhagyashri and her sister and had Amol Palekar's daughter Shamalee Palekar. It was made by Chitra Palekar, Amol Palekar's ex-wife.

The serial is loosely based on Little Women (one of my fav books as a kid) and it captures the very essence of our childhood. It transported me back to my childhood and the simple games we used to play and the pastimes we had; how big a deal car and bikes were; how we used to fight and make up; how simple pleasures like picnics used to mean a lot to us; and the list goes on....It was nostalgic and fun although the characters (specially the girls' mother) spoke Hindi with a marked Maharashtrian accent.

Shalmalee Palekar was good and I am sorry that she is not on the acting scene anymore. I searched on google and she went to study in Australia. The whole series is available on youtube for people who would like to walk down the memory lane.

No comments: