Thursday, October 18, 2012

Dracula

I read Bram Stoker's Dracula when I was almost 13 (in the 8th grade). I still remember those days (or rather nights). I would be busy with school and chores during the day so I would get only nights (when everybody would be asleep) to read. I remember sitting alone in a closed room (to shut out the light) and reading in a grip of terror. I would be very scared and unable to breathe, change positions or even blink, and still riveted and unable to stop myself from reading. The first part where Jonathan Harker is trapped in Dracula's castle was especially full of suspense. I dont really read paranormal books (twilight being an obvious exception) but I read this one and it stuck in my book mind.

And then after almost 20 years (I am not 33 yet), I wanted to see if this book still had the power to hold me. I have been building my library and thus revisiting a lot of childhood favorites. I felt some books like Adventures of Tom Sawyer made more sense now compared to then when my sense of social structures was stuff from the clouds and far from grounding reality. And so, I made good use of the kindle app and my workplace's no resrtictions on software and internet policy. Although the book no longer had the fascinating power over me, the first part referred above was still gripping.

Also, I felt that my sense of horror has drastically changed. The first time, because either my imagination was fertile or my boundaries were limited, I felt sufficiently horrified and scared and 'suspended' but this time my imagination of Dracula and his deeds were not horrifying enough. Maybe this is one scenario where I would agree that the movie can be better than the book. I am sure a Hollywood movie can beat my limited imagination any day in creating horror and suspense. And no, I am NOT going to watch the movie to form my opinion.

Happy bloodcurdling weekend.

No comments: