As of yesterday, I have officially started eating olives and the inaguration was done by the ever favorite, Subways's Veggie Delite (although I miss the red chilli sauce Pawan had introduced me to in London - I have not seen Subway carrying that sauce anywhere else).
Yes, I know it is very healthy and that is why I finally gave in. But, I do not like the taste at all. It was a very big anti climax for me considering that I waited almost all my childhood to taste it. As usual, there is a story behind it. Here goes:
I was in Std 3 and Mrs B Saha was our geography teacher. She used to take us into realms of imagination Deciduous, pine, evergreens, terrace farming - all these terms were an escape into imagination for a 8 year old kid who had only seen trees covered in fine coal dust (I could not imagine a world without coal dust). In one of these sessions, she told us about olives. Then she asked the class if anyone had ever tasted it - one of us (I don't remember who) said that they might have tasted it but were not sure. She said that none of us could possibly have tasted it since it did not grow in India (imports were unheard of by us middle class people). She then proceeded to tell us about a sister in law who lived abroad and had brought it for her. This incident stuck in my mind and from them one of my life's dreams was to taste an olive. So much that once we went to her house (almost all dads worked in the coal mines) and I wanted to ask her again about the taste (good thing that I was too awed to be in a teacher's home to speak). So you can imagine the feeling when I finally got to taste it years later. Unfortunately, I do not remember how she described the taste - I wish I could go back and tell her it doesn't taste too good!
Tail Piece - What do people mean by olive skin? Do they refer to the green olive or the black olive? I know that I might be considered to have olive skin but my color resembles neither!
Yes, I know it is very healthy and that is why I finally gave in. But, I do not like the taste at all. It was a very big anti climax for me considering that I waited almost all my childhood to taste it. As usual, there is a story behind it. Here goes:
I was in Std 3 and Mrs B Saha was our geography teacher. She used to take us into realms of imagination Deciduous, pine, evergreens, terrace farming - all these terms were an escape into imagination for a 8 year old kid who had only seen trees covered in fine coal dust (I could not imagine a world without coal dust). In one of these sessions, she told us about olives. Then she asked the class if anyone had ever tasted it - one of us (I don't remember who) said that they might have tasted it but were not sure. She said that none of us could possibly have tasted it since it did not grow in India (imports were unheard of by us middle class people). She then proceeded to tell us about a sister in law who lived abroad and had brought it for her. This incident stuck in my mind and from them one of my life's dreams was to taste an olive. So much that once we went to her house (almost all dads worked in the coal mines) and I wanted to ask her again about the taste (good thing that I was too awed to be in a teacher's home to speak). So you can imagine the feeling when I finally got to taste it years later. Unfortunately, I do not remember how she described the taste - I wish I could go back and tell her it doesn't taste too good!
Tail Piece - What do people mean by olive skin? Do they refer to the green olive or the black olive? I know that I might be considered to have olive skin but my color resembles neither!
No comments:
Post a Comment