Our San Francisco vacation almost did not happen. My husband was booked on US Airways from Austin to Phoenix and then from Phoenix to SFO reaching there at 12.45 in the night. I was booked on southwest reaching 1.5 hours before him. He was supposed to leave for the airport at 4.30 my time. I missed a couple of calls from him at around that time and dint think a lot about it. Then suddenly my sister called from the dentists office telling me that Manas's flight had got canceled and he had been trying to reach me but neither I nor Jijaji answered the phone. She was in the middle of root canal but took the call as she thought it might be imp. Good that she did.
Well, we did not know what to do. US airways told him that only Austin to Phoenix leg was canceled but there were no other flights. He left for the airport quickly while I tried to check other flight options. We had tours booked for all 2.5 days and leaving next day would mean losing half day and one tour at least. And I would also have to change my ticket as the hotel resvn was in his name. I found 2 southwest flights but did not book them as we were not sure if he would be able park his car in the rush and reach security on time. When he finally reached southwest counter we found that our indecision cost us and both flights were sold out. He said he would try to look for other airlines while I frantically looked at our bookings and their cancellation policies. Finally he did not get anything and while he went to US airways to get the refund, I tried calling expedia to cancel our hotel. I was kind of relieved as I have a big thing next Friday and I really wanted to study. Also Sid had a root canal done today and I did not want to leave her alone. Just as I was pressing 2 for existing reservations, husband called. It seems some flight was delayed and they put him on it! We finally heaved sighs of relief after he took his seat at the back of the plane.
And what about me? Due to all this confusion and in order to escape the drama if I left in front of the kids, I left a bit early while they were playing on the slide. The guy at reception and the shuttle driver are mow friends and we exchanged news. I reached early and got my Fav Paradise Bakery sandwich. Just when everything wad going fine, I was stopped at security! I had forgotten to empty out the bottle of water. The officer told me that I would either have to throw the bottle or he would have to escort me out and then I could empty it and then redo security. Since I needed the bottle for my 2 hour wait at SFO, I got my stuff, all liquids in the security bowl and got out of security, finished the water and got back into security line which had grown much longer now. Imagine all this fuss for two gulps of water!
Well after all this drama both of us were finally on our way. We even met for a few minutes as husband reached Phoenix just as I was getting on my flight. now I am sitting at SFO airport waiting for him. Let's see how the trip goes...
No comments:
Post a Comment