I have been reading Chitra Banerje Divakaruni's One Amazing Thing. My sister has always waxed eloquent about her, although she hadn't read any of her novels, she follows CBD on facebook and knows that she has made a lot of loyal fans.
So, I got her latest book, One Amazing Thing, from the library. It is about a motley of people trapped in the debris of an earthquake in an Indian visa office in US. As they are waiting to be rescued, each of them tells about "one amazing thing" in their life which effectively is a reason for them to live (or die). It is a diverse collection of stories and it shows the range of imagination of the author as she manages to pull very different lives and stories together.
Her writing is different from Jhumpa Lahiri's - the common link between them that both are American authors with an Indian heritage. But whereas Jhumpa Lahiri grew up in US, Chitra came here after completing most of her studies in India. And this difference reflects in their writing and their way of depicting the thoughts/behaviors of kids born to Indian immigrants to US.
I would recommend this book just for its refreshing take and diverse stories. Each story brings up some question and I would like to post my views/thoughts on them sometime later on.
So, I got her latest book, One Amazing Thing, from the library. It is about a motley of people trapped in the debris of an earthquake in an Indian visa office in US. As they are waiting to be rescued, each of them tells about "one amazing thing" in their life which effectively is a reason for them to live (or die). It is a diverse collection of stories and it shows the range of imagination of the author as she manages to pull very different lives and stories together.
Her writing is different from Jhumpa Lahiri's - the common link between them that both are American authors with an Indian heritage. But whereas Jhumpa Lahiri grew up in US, Chitra came here after completing most of her studies in India. And this difference reflects in their writing and their way of depicting the thoughts/behaviors of kids born to Indian immigrants to US.
I would recommend this book just for its refreshing take and diverse stories. Each story brings up some question and I would like to post my views/thoughts on them sometime later on.
No comments:
Post a Comment