Pata hi nahi chala samay kaise beet gaya - it feels so true today - when we complete one year of marriage. Although I can argue that we have been living together for only 3 months, the binding ties which I had felt would suffocate me have been well in place for the past year. In fact, I feel more free after I moved to Austin - because I dont have to give my full attention to pati in our time together. I can now spend time in my library and I dont have to feel guilty about doing my own things.
The thing which used to bug me about living together was 'doing everything together' - right from gardening to grocery shopping. But now, I am slowly getting used to that also and think of it as a blessing to have a companion for all tasks.
I think having low expectations has been the key to my performance (good/bad) in the marriage. Husband might have had high ones but he has never once put the burden of his expectations on me. That is what happens when you get married in your old age. Letting go of things is something I have learnt the hard way (if he doesnt clean the house - I do it myself and try not to nag).
Anyways lets get back to the anniversary. I had made a pact with M - no gifts to each other. He is very particular so it is very difficult to buy anything for him - so I would be saved the bother and he would be saved the bother of trying to think of something for me. But, when I woke up, a card was ready for me (I had forgotten all about getting one for him!). Then he felt that it doesnt look nice if he doesnt get a gift for me so we went jewellery shopping. I resigned myself to thinking of something for him when he asked me about what I would get for him. We looked at sunglasses (he has been looking at sunglasses for 4 months now without buying even one!) and as expected we agree on only one - and that was out of stock! Luckily, he liked a desk and I got that for his den. I had been afraid of suggesting it since he has to be introduced gradually to any new idea and I did not have time for the gradual suggestion thing. Luckily, my library setup has influenced him and he is quite enthusiastic about getting his den furnished too.
cont on 23rd
In the evening, we went to Oasis - a biiigg restaurant right at the edge of Lake Travis. The sunset was beautiful and so was the food. I had too much of fajitas and margaritas and paid the price dearly the next day. While I was sleeping through the first half of the day, M did quite a bit of house cleaning; so my falling sick turned out for the good too!Unfortunately, we were not able to go to the temple and my sister scolded both of us! We made up by going to Austin Hindu Temple on Sunday which was a very nice and quiet place. Then we put lights on the trees in the front yard. I am doubtful if we will be able to finish all lighting by Diwali!!
So, although I could not get all the cleaning done; anniversary weekend was quite good in a low key contented sort of way.
1 comment:
happy anniversary dear...and send pictures of ur home..esp the library..iam jealous:))
Post a Comment