Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Senorita......

As I have mentioned earlier, I have been listening to Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara songs quite a lot in the last couple of weeks.
Yesterday, I gave the cd to M and we were listening to it in his car. He randomly remarked on how Hrithik was pronouncing the word 'Senorita'. As we were discussing it, Senorita started striking faint chords of memory. And then it all came back to me in a rush!

No, I am not talking about the Senorita in DDLJ - although my Senorita came into being because of DDLJ's senorita. In my first year at Surat, due to a sudden influx in the number of girls, the first year girls had been moved to a block of apartments right opposite to the main girls hostel. It was fun living all on our own without any of the seniors disturbing us! There were 4 flats in that block and we were in one of the upper ones - and somehow (because our flat was the first to be occupied) we were the centre of things.

And we had a landline phone - WITH OUTGOING FACILITY all to ourselves...with nobody to monitor us or its usage.....Cellphones were yet to become second skin to us and this was a big novelty. And we were homesick (at least others were, I was Jamshedpur sick) and needed a diversion. So, I console myself that what happened had to happen given the amount of temptation and "the universe conspiring together to make it happen".

To make a long story short, somehow the idea of anonymously calling a guy emerged. I dont remember whose idea it was - I cannot be sure of my contribution in it so I will let it be a grey area. However, the idea gradually grew and developed (after all what will refuse to grow if a bunch of female minds put themselves to it)- finally the "lucky" guy was also selected. I can proclaim my innocence in the idea development part with a clean conscience - simply because I dont think I ever had the imagination to carry it forward - though I certainly had the "-------" to implement it. However, our 'core group' was very "talented" and we soon had a good plan in place.

To digress a bit, I have been trying to think why we chose that particular guy for our 'favors'. In retrospect I dont think he was such a good selection after all - if I ever have to swoon, my ideal would be someone really dynamic and who would be able to match us move for move . This guy sooo did not fit the bill (there was one guy but that is another story). Maybe we chose him because he was in our section (was he?). Maybe because he used to hang out with Bihari guys and so we felt that apna hi aadmi hai. Maybe he had tried to be too smart and we selected him just to punish him. Maybe one of the girls had a crush on him (one GIRL kept having a new crush every other day). I am sure Archana, being the noter, will be able to supply details.

Back to the topic, we finally swung into action. The group clustered around the phone and we called him. I am sorry to spoil the suspense but I really dont remember anything about the first conversation except that I had tried to disguise my voice (how did I even think that I could disguise my very very heavy Bihari accent!) I dont know how much I succeeded - but must have been enough to fool him because he did not suspect a thing. I only remember that I used "main" instead of "hum" and identified myself as "Senorita". (wooohoooo - and he got trapped with that???? remember we were in first year; some of us were not even adults).

And so the saga started. We would call him everyday and the boy's hostel would ring out with the shouts of "Senorita ka phone aa gaya hai" and all related chaff. Our boy became a hero overnight. Poor guy - he would have dug a grave for himself if he had known that the hot babe he was imagining Senorita to be was, in fact, a fat, loud voiced, tomboy who would not know a crush if it stared her in the face.

I dont know how long the drama lasted. But it worked for a decent length of time. The poor guy even got a lovely card for his Senorita. I wonder which of the girls appropriated the card! The boys hostel - one and all - or whatever part of it that had access to girls (the first sem had just started) tried their best to solve the mystery. I am proud to say that none of the girls ever leaked any part of the secret during that time (and they say girls cant keep secrets!). We were quite friendly with the Bihari guys and I somehow managed to keep a poker non committal face around them only because I was scared of Meenal.

Although I dont remember the story very well (I will try to put up a second part filling in the gaps), I do remember that it was a lot of fun and excitement. It provided countless hours for our never ending gossip. And I am sure it served to prevent some buckets of Meenal's and Richa's copious tears. It also served as a good bonding time for us girls.That was a time when you readily opened up to people. Your friends knew all your weaknesses and never hit you with it.

I am only sorry that I was instrumental in playing with the heart of a gullible boy. Though I am not sure that there is reason for that - after all he got to be an instant hero in the boys hostel. He must have been an object of envy for being selected out of so many 'eligible' candidates. Not every boy can boast about receiving blank calls. It is the privilege of us girls! But from my side, I would like to apologize and so Mr X if you ever remember that episode (maybe when you are listening to ZNMD songs) - please accept my sincere apology and smile indulgently at our youthful exuberance.

Me? Now, I just look back and say 'Ah those were the days'. And those were the friends! And that was ME!

4 comments:

abhijit said...

girls can never keep secrets.you just proved it.

abhijit said...

girls can never keep secrets. you just proved it.

Meenal said...

ek to bechara Mr X bali ka bakra bana...aur itne years ke baad use "not eligible" for bakra bol rahi ho, tum nahi badlogi!!
waise do u realise...is incident ko 12 yrs ho chuke hain !!

Rohit said...

Nilesh Baldwa is happily married now... :D
FYI we all knew that a girl is playing some kind of prank...

BTW who was the other guy: (there was one guy but that is another story)???