Sunday, October 16, 2011

Who are the Teachers?

So my sister was here for a week with her family. The visit was a lot of fun specially for me and Adrija since they will be moving out of the country soon. But more about the trip later.

Now that I am no longer in Phoenix, Adrija calls me whenever she is upset with her parents, which happens quite often. (When I was there, both of us would go to our room and play and not talk to either of the parents as a punishment). I had not known that she goes to a corner and calls me 'by herself'. (These days the new fad is to do things 'by myself'). I was very curious to know how she manages the complex navigation in iPhone (without being able to read the words - she know just capital alphabets).

So, when she was here I asked her 'Adi app Maiyu ko kaise call karte ho self se'?
Ans - 'Mere ko aata hai. Mama ke phone mein apka no 'D' se hai aur Papa ke phone mein 'M' se. I was surprised that she had even noticed that the two phones had different names for me. I dont know why I keep getting surprised by all she does.
Then I locked my sister's phone and handed it to her asking her to give her a demo. This is what she did:
1. Unlocked the phone by swiping it
2. Navigated quickly along various pages and zeroed in the folder which has the phone icon. The junglee boy always messes with the icons on our phones and proudly shows us that 'Anay sara hata diya'. Now we have left trying to keep our icons organized and just do a search for what we want. I had been wondering how she would find the phone icon but she confidently went to a folder and picked the correct one in the first attempt.
3. Navigated to the recent calls list and scrolled down the page till she saw my name (saved as Dee). And called me.
4. Then shows me the icons - isse Mute hota hai aus isse speaker on hota hai. And Maiye red wala ko touch mat karna - usse cut hota hai!

As a final test, I showed her two names starting with D and asked her to choose. She picked the correct one. I dont know why I even bothered to do this - she has been recognizing Sam's, Walmart and Costco trucks on the road for years now.

Moral - Children notice each detail which you are not even aware of. So, control your body language, words, behaviour and thinking when you are with them. You want them to learn good things. In short, be as good a person around them as you would like them to become.
She might just be my last hope and succeed in making a good person out of me.

No comments: